Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Breaking Out of the Box...



Or at least attempting too...This is page 6 in my sketchbook, for "The Sketchbook Project."

I'm kind of a perfectionist (to say the least)...let us just say it holds me back. If I can't do it perfectly, or in the very least-- exceptionally well-- I might not want to do it at all...or I procrastinate...this has effected me in most aspects of my life, especially artistically. I put off projects, I take FOREVER on them...etc...you get the picture :) There have been times though when I had "happy little mistakes," and had to try something else...times where I played, experimented, and created something cool...these times when I broke out of the box changed things, and changed things for the better...

In this post I have also included a mixed media piece called "strength," which is based on the tarot card Strength. This is really the first REALLY mixed media piece I did. And how did it happen? I tore the darn painting! There was a 3 inch tear near the top of the painting so I had to collage over it to cover it up. And what happened? It turned out cooler than it probably would have in the first place! And then after this I started doing a bit more mixed media, as opposed to strictly watercolor, etc...breaking out of the box can be very, very good!!! I need to keep reminding myself of that :)

No comments: