Sunday, October 6, 2013

Sew I Started Sewing again ;) ...

When I was a kid I really enjoyed sewing. I didn't know a lot, but what I did know I enjoyed. I first learned a bit of handsewing in 5th grade, from my teacher Ms. Havlick. We had a project where each student in the class made one hand sewn square, which the teacher then put together to form a quilt. Soon thereafter I learned some embroidery in Girl Scouts...and then in 6th grade I made a small, hand sewn quilt for my Grandma. Oddly, in retrospect-- I think this was where the roots of the chicken character really started...In the quilt for my gramma each square was made with a differentn fabric, and then I'd sew a little picture on each square that resembled the fabric. One of those squares had little chickens on it. (or perhaps duckies..I am not sure, I haven't seen it in 20 years)...anyway, that image always stuck in my head. Also, over the years, little chicken heads would pop up in my art...it was like the Mr. Chicken character was oddly meant to be, and just kind of took a while ( a couple decades ;) to "hatch"!...Initially Mr. Chicken was all little paintings..now I'm getting back into sewing as well :) When I paint, I'm a wee bit of a perfectionist and sometimes get burned out...Sewing by hand oddly relaxes me, so it's a good break in the action-- and also creates other types of merchandise. I realize sometimes people may not want a painting for their wall, but would love an item they could use, or wear, such as a headband, a key chain, or a necklace...etc...I also want to start sewing clothes, but that's another story and will come later! Here's the start of Mr. Chicken's sewn items ;)...which included a chicken doll (kind of like the traveling gnome)-- which I took everywhere and took pics of...I ended up giving him to a man in Hospice :) I'll sew another one for further adventures!...btw-- the lovely Irish lass in the picture with the punk rock chicken is my gramma. Her name was Peggy...I think we can largely credit her with helping create the chicken, as she always nurtured my artistic pursuits-- thank you gramma!! (miss you :)...





No comments: