Saturday, May 17, 2008
How Far Have You Come in a Year?
This is what I asked myself today...why? :)...Because May 17th, 2007 was one of the crappiest, most depressing days in my life...but that is a different blog post :)Actually, I might have to write a book about that one, or submit an article to some kind of periodical (not that it would necessarily be published though:)...I often dwell on the negative, and believe me, there's plenty of it...but today I want to look at how my life has improved from that sucky day, and the progress I have made in one year...Here are some of the good things :)
1) I conquered my fear of computers. After dropping out of at least 3 computer classes over the years, I took Introduction to Computer Graphics at a community college up in Madison...Granted I freaked out, and had to get a tutor...but I finished the class, and actually am still using Photoshop! :)
2) I moved across the country...I still can't believe it...I'm a total chicken in most ways, but I decided to leave my state of origin, which I lived in my whole life ....and try something different...weeeeelll, I WAS going to go to graduate school, but then didn't....please refer to #3 directly below! :)...One intersting thing to note, is that my first FULL day in Georgia, was the very day my Saturn returned to it's exact point where it was on the day I was born...this happens only once every 29 years folks!...another post I should do I guess-- Saturn returns! :)
3) I recognized on the first day of graduate school it was going to be a very bad fit...by day 3 I was miserable and hated it...I then "declined to attend" the college, and got out before I lost a bunch of money and also my sanity...I felt very, very bad, guilty, and depressed about this at the time...I still occasionaly wonder what if, but I know in my gut...there's a better grad school out there for me-- and I would love to attend it someday! :)...perhaps I will elaborate on this more later, at some point...I will say it closed some doors, but opened others!
4) With new found time on my hands-- I joined Etsy! :)...I wanted to join Etsy when I first heard of it, in 2006...at that time, however, I did not possess the computer skills...How do you upload a photo? :)...At the time I did not know...and just what is "resolution"...:)...I'm still learning :) I still can't believe I have artwork on the internet :). I'm not a big seller, but the fact that I've actually put it out there, makes me really happy! :)
5) I realized who I am not, and who I will never be...I am never going to be a doctor, or a nurse, or a teacher, or a lawyer...or any of those other "white collar" professions...I did well in school, well enough to get a fellowship to that grad school I was going to go to...but it's just not me. I'm really an introvert, and I'm kind of an artsy, scruffy tomboy...I have a small group of friends and do like people, but am often very shy, and am not comfortable in social situations...I'm also not comfortable in "dressy" clothes...I'm kind of like a weird little hobbit creature who doesn't really fit into the world...Now with these traits, how could I have one of those above mentioned careers? ......I think I'm finally starting to except that I will never have one of the socially "acceptable" careers, even if my family can't accept it....
6) I'm starting to learn this blogging thing! :)...Now if I can just figure out how to cut and paste multiple pictures throughout one blog post, I'll be set! :)
Here's a question for you cyber space people..if anyone is reading...maybe not? Who knows...but just in case:
How far have you come in one year? Has your life changed for the better? :)